Fashions, fads, and trends come and go in every industry. But in the wellness space, if there is one thing that has stood the test of time and proved its worth, then it is essential oils.
You know essential oils as fragrant liquids that come in tiny little bottles. They are highly beneficial, widely popular, and tremendously valuable. Add them into your selfcare routine, and they will transform your life for the better.
However, in this guide, the particular method of essential oil usage under discussion is steam inhalation.
What Are the Benefits of Steam Inhalation With Essential Oils?
Steam inhalation with essential oils offers you numerous health, wellness, and beauty benefits. Steam inhalation involves breathing in warm water vapors to calm the symptoms of cold, flu, congestion, stuffiness, and mucus infections. When essential oils are combined in the steam, they bring their versatile virtues to improve your overall experience.
Besides clearing congested airways, soothing headaches, and promoting respiratory comfort, steam inhalation with essential oils encourages a calm, composed, and collected mind frame. It fosters a sense of tranquility and serenity in the atmosphere, easing the feelings of irritability and tension that you usually find hard to tackle during infections and fever.
Whereas the beautifying properties of essential oils are concerned, they have antioxidant, astringent and cleansing effects. Essential oils boost skin’s resilience, reduce the appearance of dark spots, calm acne, soothe irritations, leaving you with a refreshed and rejuvenated complexion.
Not to mention the delightful fragrances of essential oils spread across your space with the water vapors, creating a pleasant and bright ambiance, allowing you to rest and reset.
How to Do Steam Inhalation With Essential Oils?
Steam inhalation is the most common and simple home remedy that almost every household across the globe uses for different purposes. Whether you are using steam inhalation for relief from cold, flu, cough, or to gain aromatherapeutic benefits of essential oils, it will leave you feeling happier and healthier than before.
Here is a step to step guide for doing steam inhalation with essential oils:
- A large bowl
- A pot, kettle, microwave, or stove for heating the water
- Heat up the water to the boiling level
- Transfer it into the bowl
- Add 5-7 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Place the bowl on a table or shelf where you can easily take the steam
- Cover your head with the towel
- Breathe in the steam slowly
- Continue this process for 10-15 minutes
- Take a break if you feel difficulty in breathing
- For soothing cold and flu symptoms, inhale the steam 2-3 times a day.
- Ensure placing the bowl of hot steaming water on a steady surface
- Keep a safe distance from the water so it may cause a burning sensation or sensitivity.
- Don’t open your eyes in the process.
- Your eyes should never make direct contact with steam
- Make sure the bowl is out of reach of children and pets
- Discontinue if you feel any adverse reactions or irritations
Popular Essential Oils for Steam Inhalation:
If you also want to how to store and dilute essential oils, here is a detailed guide.
Is Steam Inhalation Safe for Children?
Steam inhalation is not a safe procedure for children. They may accidentally knock off the bowl and accidentally burn themselves. It is better to be cautious and careful with children. To get the same benefits of steam inhalation, create steam in your bathroom by running hot water and making your child sit there for a while under your supervision.
While steam inhalation is an easy, effective and inexpensive way to soothe congestion and cold, flu symptoms, but it should not be considered a cure-all remedy. If the discomfort, pain, and irritation continue, consult your health care practitioner.