How Long Should I Diffuse Essential Oils? : A Guide
Aromatherapy is an ancient practice of using essential oils to promote the wellness of being whole—mind, body, and spirit.
This holistic treatment aims to boost the quality of life by encouraging emotional balance, physical agility, and mental concentration. With that said, expected results are only possible when you know the proper procedure of aromatherapy.
The most popular and easy way of practicing aromatherapy is by inhalation. You can either diffuse essential oils or directly inhale them through the bottle.
Diffusing essential oils helps create an aromatic, clean, and pleasant ambiance in any space. You have a choice to diffuse essential oils exclusively or in the form of a blend to get desired mind-body benefits.
If you plan to incorporate aromatherapy into your daily routine to lead a better life, diffusing essential oil is the safest and simplest way. In this guide, we will help you learn how to diffuse essential oils the right way and answer all your diffuser-related questions in the process.
Let us get started:
Is Diffusing Essential Oils Safe for Your Lungs?
Essential oils are potent liquid compounds carrying the therapeutic and restorative properties of plants. They improve the atmosphere and ambiance of any surroundings with their unique aromas. Diffusing essential oils have no known side effects related to the lungs and are safe for most people. However, if you have any scent sensitivities or allergies, putting only 1 drop of essential oil in a large diffuser is better to decrease its scent concentration.
How Many Drops of Essential Oils In a Diffuser?
A general rule of thumb to add essential oil in a 100ml diffuser is 2-5 drops. But if you are using the diffuser for the first time, begin with the lowest amount i-e 2 drops at the start, and then increase the amount to 5 drops.
Whereas, for a 200ml diffuser, 6-10 drops is a recommended amount. Similarly, the standard amount for a 300 ml diffuser is 12-15 drops, and the 500ml diffuser is 15-10 drops.
How Long Do Essential Oils Last In a Diffuser
It depends on the size, space, and brand of the diffuser. However, a 100ml diffuser should disperse the essential oil aroma within 10-15 minutes.
How Long Should I Diffuse Essential Oils?
Most essential oils have long-lasting scents. Yet, certain essential oils aromas are even stronger than others, such as sandalwood oil, patchouli oil, and cinnamon oil. Nevertheless, the standard procedure to diffuse essential oils is 15-20 minutes 2 times a day.
How Long Does Essential Oil Scent Last On Skin?
Essential oils are volatile and evaporative liquid compounds. They have a concentrated chemical constitution that tends to disperse into the air quickly. You cannot apply essential oils directly to the skin as they will cause sensitivity and irritations.
To apply essential oils on the skin for their beauty and aromatic benefits, you must dilute them first with carrier oils. Preferably, combine essential oils with jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, or almond oil that don’t have a significant scent of their own. These carrier oils are rich in fatty acids that match the structure of the skin’s natural oils. They are known to penetrate the skin’s outermost surface while preserving authentic fragrances of essential oils.
Where To Place Essential Oil Diffuser In Bedroom
There is not any perfect spot to place a diffuser in your bedroom. Still, you must take the following precautions to use it properly:
- Always place the diffuser two feet above the floor
- Do not put the diffuser on wooden surfaces or carpets that are subject to getting damp or moisture damage
- Place it in an area away from sunlight
- Ideally, put a tray underneath the diffuser
- Make sure the diffuser is atleast 3 feet away from your bed
- The best place to keep the diffuser is at the center or near the center of the room
Dangers of Essential Oils Diffusers
Although diffusers are safe and effective tools to gain the fullest benefits of essential oils’ aromas, you should follow the guidelines for an optimal experience.
Here are tips for using diffusers safely:
- Use recommended amount of oils
- Purchase highest quality essential oils
- Use the diffuser in a well-ventilated area
- Keep it away from sun exposure
- Run the diffuser for 15-20 minutes at a session, then give it a break
- Make sure to put the diffuser and essential oils from the flames
- Keep the diffuser out of reach of children and pet
- Do not run the diffuser in the presence of small children and pets, especially cats
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant
- Regularly clean the diffuser
Best Essential Oils for Diffuser
The choice of the best essential oils for the diffusers depends on your personal preference and specific needs. Their distinctive aromatic benefits range from soothing to refreshing and uplifting to relaxing. The aim of diffuse essential oils is to enhance the ambiance, elevate the mood, and make you feel better.
Here is a list of the best essential oils with their fragrance characteristics:
- Peppermint Oil - Revitalizing, purifying, energizing
- Tea Tree Oil- Detoxifying, soothing, therapeutic
- Lavender Oil - Pleasant, relaxing, cleansing
- Frankincense Oil - Balancing, grounding, comforting
- Eucalyptus Oil- Clarifying, refreshing, calming
- Rosemary Oil - Hydrating, deodorizing, rejuvenating
- Clove Bud Oil- Warm, welcoming, invigorating
- Cedarwood Atlas Oil - Sweet, woodsy, comforting
- Lemon Oil - Fresh, citrusy, cheerful
- Orange Oil - Refreshing, energizing, deodorizing
- Cinnamon Oil - Sweet, spicy, warm